Welcome to the CELF!
Welcome to the Canadian Energy Law Foundation (“CELF”). Since 1963, the CELF has endeavoured to be the pre-eminent non-profit association for lawyers engaged in energy law throughout Canada. Our mandate is to enhance and promote the understanding of current and emerging legal issues important to the oil and gas and electricity industries through collegial thought-exchange and leadership. The CELF strives to research, raise issues, discuss, debate and collaborate on the understanding, administration and promotion of energy law. Our reach and representation extends across Canada.
These are some of our exciting initiatives:
- On June 13-16, 2018, we held our 57thAnnual Research Seminar at Jasper, Alberta. Our organizing committee, led by Chair, George Antonopoulos, put on another successful seminar, bringing together private and in-house lawyers, academics, regulators and industry participants to discuss topics ranging from frequently litigated and valuation issues in energy transactions, resource conservation in the Atlantic offshore, regulatory principles of stranded assets, and cross-border energy trade. This highly anticipated research seminar will be held again from June 12 to 15 2019.
- The Fall Reception and Annual Dinner in Calgary, as well as social events in Vancouver and Halifax, provide a fantastic opportunity to network with colleagues and friends while learning the latest industry trends.
- The annual graduate and undergraduate scholarships, awarded to students across Canada, provide an opportunity for the CELF to invest in the future of the industry, while our support for the attendance and research of energy focused academics continues the “virtuous cycle” of thought leadership.
- Taught by leading professors and senior lawyers, the Energy Law Fundamentals Seminar allows junior in-house and private practitioners to gain a practical understanding of basic energy law while mingling with colleagues and peers.
- Our website provides links to industry newsfeeds and past CELF conference papers to ensure access to the latest trends and thought leadership.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of the CELF. I would like to specifically thank members of the CELF and our excellent sponsors for their generous and continuing support. I would also like to thank our Board of Directors, and numerous volunteers, who comprise a great cross-section of the energy bar and volunteer many hours every year to advance the mandate of the CELF.
For anyone wishing to join the CELF, please visit our membership page. For existing members who would like to be more involved in CELF initiatives, please feel free to contact me or any of our directors.